Aug 20, 2010

1147th and 652nd...respectively

Somehow Brandon has this ability to talk me into doing things that I would never ever in a million years think of doing by myself. This summer dun dun dun... it was a triathalon. Guh....that's what I thought when we paid the sign up fee and I thought about a whole summer of training. Last year I did a sprint triathalon up at Bear Lake and actually really really loved it (despite the fact that I really cannot swim - really - I can't)and felt like maybe I could work really hard and do an olympic distance one this year. It actually ended up being amazing. I really loved it. I wasn't super fast, but I finished! We did the Spudman up in Idaho which was perfect for me because you swim (or backfloat:) down the snake river. I rode my bike with these two most amazing ladies that flew by me right at first and I decided to try and keep up with them. They were so wonderful! When I would start to get tired they would start asking me questions and telling me stories - they were awesome. They helped me ride about a mile an hour faster than I usually do. B sprained his ankle really really bad several months ago and was only able to start running about a month and a half before our race. I couldn't believe how good he still did. Last year he finished in the top 10 in his age group (which is unbelievable to me!) and he was a little bummed to have been a few minutes slower this year - but seriously If I had his huge knobby ankle I would have gracefully bowed out! There were about 1900 people in the race...so I was a little slower than the average Jo out there, but seriously - a little slower than the average tri-athlete?!!! I'm so fine with that!


Brandon, Me, Byron and Aaron

There were so many disabled/old/really quite overweight people who were doing it that just blew my mind. There were several times that I was so overwhelmed with gratitude for this healthy, able body that I've been blessed with and the ability to do things that I'm not really cut out for, but still able to work hard and be a part of. I was really surprised at how awesome the whole experience was. All those awful early early morning work-outs were so worth it and I loved every second of it (okay maybe not my blah knees and hips during the run - but really everything else:). I will definitely continue to let Brandon talk me into crazy/absurd things!

1 comment:

Paul, Julianne and the Kids said...

Wow! You are so inspiring! Look at all you buff John's! I think I'm going to go work out right now! :) Really though, good job!! It's fun to see pics of you guys! Your kids are growing up so dang cute! Take Care!