Aug 15, 2008

Grady


Below I've written a novel that is mostly for me, so feel free to scroll down to the pictures of my cute baby! If you choose to keep reading, know that I am completely embarrassed by the plethora of pictures Brandon put on here of me - I'm sure most of you know how lovely you feel after going through labor! My poofy eyes beautifully offset my poofy lips! Uggg -- Anyway - as you saw we now have a beautiful baby boy that after much deliberation we decided to name Grady. I have loved the name Graham for so long, but this little guy just wasn't a Graham. I had a dream a few months ago that we had a little boy named Grady who we just called Gray - I had never heard the name before, so we figured it was probably meant to be, and it fits him perfect! Unlike Clara, this little guy came to us so fast! Saturday I felt pretty good and we did all sorts of stuff and went swimming all afternoon. At about 8 pm I started having pretty serious contractions, but knew that I wanted to labor at home as long as possible. I wanted do this un-medicated and was not about to sit around the hospital for a whole day with nurses making me feel like I wouldn't be able to do it! But - by 9:30 we figured we better call my parents to come stay with Clara. By 10:00 we figured we better call my doula who lives in W. Jordan, and by 11:00 we knew we better call a neighbor to sit with Clara and get to the hospital pretty fast! Everything was going so good - I sat in the tub for a while - had Brandon give my a wonderful foot massage - and was feeling so good! On the way to the hospital I started having contractions about every three minutes. I was in the back seat on my hands and knees and Brandon had never driven to the hospital where I was delivering before - long story short - it took us about 6 U turns and one call to find out where in the world the open door to the hospital was before we made it. It was just like the movies! I was in the back seat laughing (between contractions) and Brandon was a mad man. By the time we got to the hospital I was already dialated to a 7 1/2! I was so happy I just started bawling and hugging everyone! I was stuck at a 6 for over nine hours with Clara - so I was so excited! It only took about an hour and a half to get to a ten, and then my midwife broke my water - and Grady came about an hour later. Before I started to push - things went so good - contractions were really hard, but I felt like I got a huge rush of endorphins after each one. Pushing however did not go so good - It was really really really really hard - and I unfortunately did not handle it very quietly to say the least - but in an hour it was over and I didn't even have to be told that the beautiful baby they handed me was a boy - it was so weird, but I just knew! Birth is so amazing! And even though I was a baby about it, I was still so proud of myself, and so glad that I was able to have the experience that I felt would be best for both me and my baby. I had the most wonderful person and friend for my Doula who helped so so much! Christie - thank you thank you thank you! You were so calming and helpful for both of us! I know Brandon appreciated having you there just as much as I did. After I had Clara I felt like I might never walk again - this time was so so different. It was so great to be able to walk out of the delivery room and go see my baby right away. He had a rough first night where he wasn't breathing very good and was just really lethargic, it was so sad - we sat by him in the nursery till about 8 am and then he started doing really well and they let us take him to our room. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far he is such a good baby. He's even handled the attacks from his adoring sister who thinks we brought her home a new baby doll to play with. Here are some more pics of the last few days -










Isn't he so cute! By the way, for those who asked - I'm not sure what I was allergic to. My lips have blown up once again since then, and last night one of my toes blew up like a balloon! My hands have done it too - so weird! I got hives every night the last five months of my pregnancy too - My nurse said random things like this just happen to women after they have babies and their hormones are adjusting.

16 comments:

Calder Family said...

ya Lesli and Brandon! That is a great story. You are so amazing! I love the name and he is adorable! I hope you are feeling good and stop swelling up! Call if you get a chance! :) Love ya!

Ashley said...

Love the name!! It was great to hear the whole story. I could just see you on your hands and knees in the back of the car. So, how does it feel to have two adorable kids??

Melanie Arkoudas said...

Congratulations Brandon and Lesli! He is adorable, and I love the name. It was so fun to read about your labor and birth experience. I am so glad that he is safe and sound and that all went well. I think he looks like Brandon. He's pretty stinkin cute!

Katy said...

Hey Les,
What a beautiful story! I had Savanna naturally and it was quite an adventure...so worth it! We just found out we are pregnant and I'm looking for a good doula (West Jordan)...let me know if you liked yours and what her name is. In fact, I would love to talk to you about your midwife too...email me your phone number if you get a chance (katybwass@gmail.com). I'm so happy for you guys! I love the name you picked!

DJ and Kristin said...

You are super women.. No drugs!! What a great story I think you are so funny, laughing between contractions I could just picture you in the back of your car. He is adorable! Way to GO!!

Anonymous said...

Lester you are the best! I loved reading your story! I am glad things went just like you wanted this time! Little Grady is soo cute. I can't wait to see him. Love you!

Brooke said...

He is a doll! I don't blame Clara for assuming that Grady (cute name by the way!) is a baby doll for her. I would feel the same way :) I cannot believe you actually had a sense of humor in the back of the car! That's awesome. I would hope I would react the same way.. but.. lets me honest, I probably would not. Anyway! Congratulations. I hope to meet him some day. Also, after I had Ava I broke out in hives and hormones is the best answer the derm could give me so maybe there is some truth to that. Hooray, he is a cutie pie!

Chelsea said...

Congrats! What a sweet baby! you are the bravest women I know!! So glad it all went well. You have beautiful kids!

The Millers said...

Congrats to you both! I'm glad everything went so well. It's nice to come out of the situation feeling like everything happened the way it should!

Jon and Melissa said...

Wow Leslie, he is so cute. What a fun little family! Isn't it so awesome to see what your second child looks like and realize-yeah he fits in our family! I LOVE having two kids watching them interact is the best. Congratulations!

kkoyle said...

How wonderful!I am so thrilled for you. Having two kids so close together is challenging, but oh so worth it. He is absolutley beautiful.Kyle

Paul, Julianne and the Kids said...

Congratulations!! Your new arrival is sooo cute! I'm new to this blogging stuff, but I found yours and wanted to see how you all were doing. It's fun to keep in contact!--Julianne

Amy said...

Congratulations you two--that is very exciting and we're glad everyone is happy and healthy. We miss you guys and wish we could be closer, but we seem to be drifting farther and farther away. The good news is, we can't get any farther away than we are now, so next time we move in two years we'll definitely be moving closer.

Amy F. said...

That is such a great story! I hope to do the same on my 2nd. No fear right?
He is such a cutie, and I love the name!

Krystin Coburn said...

Lesli and Brandon, he is so cute! Lesli you are amazing! Thanks for sharing your blessing with us. We would love to get together soon! What a cute family is all I can say. Congratulations

Shalyce and Jordan said...

Lesli, I'm so happy I found your blog so I could see that cute baby of yours. Congrats! He is such a doll!