Sep 4, 2011

Sun Valley.....heaven

That title made me think of a funny story - I may have already written it down, but in case I didn't I don't want to forget it.... We were driving through Layton one day a year or so ago and the traffic lanes that had been closed down because of construction were open again. I was so happy I said out loud, "wow, this is heaven!" Clara promptly said, "uh.... Heavenly Father and Jesus live....here???" Pretty funny...

Anyway, onto this post, I'm gonna write a pretty detailed travel log that no one but me would ever want to read. "Me" is the key word in that sentence though - I will re-read this post all winter long and I don't want to forget one minute of the lovely few days me and Brandon had because I know how happy remembering those warm, relaxing, sunny days in Sun Valley will make me when it's freezing outside and he's busy with work and I have a new little babe to snuggle inside with.

My parents took my kids (and my dad even took them to the fair - my Day took my kids to the fair!!) for a few days so we could have a little break and it was more lovely than I can even say. "lovely" will be over used in this post - I can tell. We drove up on Wednesday and even that was nice to be able to just sit and talk for a few hours - then that night we went to this really yummy place called "the vintage"... I think, where I had the most amazing coconut, butternut squash soup - really spicy with lots of thai flavors - hmmm. The next day we slept in, B went on a long bike ride and I went for a walk and to the store then we hung out at the pool most of the afternoon. We came home and made some pretty tasty grilled pizza (1st try and it was a complete success - only ingredients were olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzerela and some whole grain pizza dough) then I talked Brandon into going to the outdoor symphony with me. It's something I've always wanted to do but would probably not pay to do it - well in Sun Valley, It's free! You sit outside and people bring their dogs and kids and this guy did the splits on top of chairs while he was playing the clarinet! It was about as fun as a symphony can get:). We rode our bikes around ketchum that night for a while.

The next morning we went on a hike to this mountain lake. It was beautiful - I had read that it was a pretty easy hike for beginners and thought 'perfect; beginner is similar to 8 months pregnant right?' wrong..... it was really steep and this short little 2 miles in 2 miles out hike took us forever. But when we got to the top it was so worth it - beautiful beautiful lake that was so clear you could see the trout swimming around in the bottom of it. I felt so lucky and happy to be up in the mountains - the weather was perfect too. Lovely. Definenitely worth all the breaks I needed us to take to get there. We almost ran out of gas on the way back to town - not lovely, but we didn't! We then found these hot springs called "frenchmans bend" and they are now one of my most favorite spots on earth. Someone put all these rocks to form little pools in the middle of a river, so you are sitting in the most beautiful mountain setting, in the middle of a gorgeous river and it feels like you are in a bathtub! The only reason I can think that I wasn't incredibly sore from the hike the next day was because of those hot springs. We sat with the sun setting on the water and were by ourselves for most of the time there. Oh I can't even say enough how wonderful it was! We finished off the night with some awesome mexican food at Desperado's where I almost fell asleep over my salad.

Saturday morning we rode the chair lift up baldy and Brandon rode his mountain bike down and I hiked down the mountain. It was very pretty. We had lunch at "Christina's" a place I've always wanted to try - food was pretty good, but the service was kind of snooty. Not sure if I would go back. We hung out at the pool that afternoon and then went and saw the movie "The Help", that night. So fun just to go to a good movie! We hadn't been to one since..... not sure, but it had been a long time! Then we drove back out to the hot springs late that night. There was kind of a groovy crowd there, but one of the guys was an astrologist and told us some cool stuff about the night sky and we had another lovely night watching the moon come up. I couldn't get over the fact that we were sitting in the middle of a river - and it felt so nice!!!!

Sunday we got up and rode our bikes into church and rode around ketchum for a little bit then came back and packed up and left our lovely little condo. Oh this was relaxing. I hope no one has really read all of this - but I need a pretty clear memory of exactly what we did because I know how happy it will make me to think back on it. That might be why I love vacations so much - I love to day dream about them when I am tired or stressed or sick - or when I am really feeling 35 weeks pregnant (like today) and very..... full. I love B. We have so much fun together.








2 comments:

april said...

Fun! We love Ketchum! We usually go once a year with my family. It's so beautiful there ;) Glad you had fun! Next time you are there try Ricco's, seriously yummy gourmet pizza and salad. Hope you and baby are doing fab!

The Marchant's said...

Can I come next time?