My predictions were correct - our honey bees went right to work and gave me the best batch of raspberries we've ever had. Thanks ladies! We harvested our first (tiny) batch of honey a few weeks ago. B was checking on the hives and found that some of the comb was built crooked. It was mostly capped honey so instead of securing it back up we decided to bring it in and take out the honey. We smooshed up all the comb with a fork and then poured it into mason jars. We covered the tops with tulle and then taped them upside down on top of another jar. A few hours sitting in the sun, and whishy wooshy,
we had honey! We also have a bunch of lovely beeswax that I've spent a lot of time trying to decide what to do with - lotion, lip gloss, candles, hmmm... I'm very excited at the prospects.
And here, my belly and my berries. It's kind of fun to have a belly that grows right a long with the produce in my garden. A few nights ago for dinner we had potatoes with onions, garlic, fennel and lots of yummy herbs, a huge salad and raspberries all from the garden. I was in heaven. We topped it off we thick slices of homemade bread made with honey from our very own lovely ladies. Threshing the wheat to make the bread was a little tricky, but.... he he just teasing, but maybe one day! Nothing I like more than a meal I've grown all by myself (or all by B's self.... that's a little more accurate:)! Cheers to lovely summer.
1 comment:
Oh I bet that honey is sooo yummy! Seeing those berries makes me miss all my moms bushes. I have plenty of memories picking em....I have a great recipe for a raspberry truffle brownie if you want it.
Post a Comment