My good friend Christie invited me to attend her home birth to take pictures throughout the labor. It was amazing. I can't even think of other words to describe it. Amazing. She was my doula (a birth assistant) when I had Grady and I think she probably felt comfortable having me at her birth since she had been with me at one of mine. I can't describe how wonderful and beautiful and sacred it all was. How wonderful would it be to have that as a "side job". Wonderful. Christie was so beautiful and ethereal (I know that might sound like a little much, but I'm not sure how else to put it), through the entire labor. It feels like when these little people come into the world that they are still so filled with the Spirit of Deity that something happens to mothers, a spiritual change that allows this new sacred being that has come into their arms to feel more at home. I felt so privileged to be a bystander. Thank you a million times over Mark and Christie for allowing me to be with you. And sorry again for not being a "real" photographer:) I can't tell you how much I wish I could have captured that beautiful morning better than I did.
This could be a wonderful way to stay busy.
5 comments:
You know what I think. And I wholeheartedly feel the same way about these wonderful spirits that come into this world. It truly does somehow make the mothers so enraptured with love that they just gleam. I love it. I so think you should do it.
Oh, and just wanted to say...Do it now! Because although I am truly blessed, with the blessings comes work...you know it is a true blessing to live here, it is what I have always wanted, but sometimes the blessing of school and the blessing of my greatest kids, and the blessing of being able to be a midwife often equate to feeling slightly overwhelmed a little, but just sometimes and all in all it is great, just as a word from one who has gone before, do it now, then have the farm...and the kids and all that... Love you!
So neat you got to do this Lesli! It made me excited to read this b/c I am photographing two deliveries (my first ones) this month.. I love your outlook on it. Thanks for sharing :)
PS I think you would be the best doula ever, ever! I would want you to be my doula!
I think this would be perfect for you. You have such a calm, gentle spirit, which would perfect in that situation.
Post a Comment